So my 1 Year No Buy has officially come to an end. It all started with a walk into Sephora to look around. You know how that goes :) I realized that I want to try products to share with you all and for some upcoming projects, not just things that are sent to me by brands. I still wanted to update you on the things that I've used up in the last 17 days. I'll write a blog post soon about what I learned during my experience.
Things I've Used Up
1. Chantecaille Flower Infused Cleansing Milk (trial size)
Like all Chantecaille products, this cleansing milk was gentle and had a nice scent. Also like all Chantecaille products, it's quite expensive at $68 so I don't know if I would ever buy the full-size product.
2. Homemade Sugar Scrub
I really enjoyed this sugar scrub that I made at a Natural Beauty Workshop. I used it as a scrub in the bath and it made my skin very soft and had a nice citrus scent. I shared the recipe for this in the Velvet Report Facebook Group.
3. Heritage Store Colloidal Silver Soap
I bought this silver soap at a natural foods store in California. I'd read that colloidal silver helps with any body bumps (aka bacne) because it's antibacterial. I don't have bacne but I was still intrigued to try this soap. It was gentle, didn't smell, and had just the tiniest bit of lather. More of a basic than a special treat.
4. OSEA Ocean Cleanser (Travel size)
This came in one of my Petit Vour boxes and it smelled divine! I enjoyed using this in the shower with a konjac sponge a couple of times a week. One thing that I did notice was that it started to turn light greenish after a couple of weeks. I continued to use it but it just didn't look as pretty. Also when I got down to the end, it was nearly impossible to get all of the product out so I spent a lot of time digging at it in the shower or adding a little bit of water and then pouring the solution on my hand.
5. Glossier Green Galaxy Pack
Glossier has taken over Instagram! Just so you know, I'm a rep for Glossier but that doesn't mean that I love all of their products. One that I do quite like is this green detoxifying mask. It's cooling paste that feels good on the skin after a long day. I also found that it's quite gentle for a detoxifying mask.
6. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer
This had been my go-to concealer for the last few years. It provides good coverage and one tube lasts forever. Unfortunately NARS is no longer cruelty-free since they will be selling in China and therefore, required to do animal testing. That being said, I still wanted to use this up and I finally did.
7. LAVNILA Sport Luxe Deodorant
Favorite deodorant of all time, hands down! It's healthy and actually works. Feels like you are wearing a regular deodorant but you also get the peace of mind knowing that this deodorant is healthy. Weeeee! The only downside is the price is about double a regular deodorant but it does last a long time.
8. Chantecaille Future Skin Foundation
I loved this foundation, but would I buy it again? I don't know. Pluses: it's dewy, natural looking, and provides medium coverage. Negatives: it's dewy (maybe a little bit too much), expensive, and not from a natural brand. Even though Chantecaille is not a natural brand, I do think their products have really high quality plant-based ingredients. I'm on the fence about repurchasing this one.
9. RMS Beauty Raw Coconut Cream
If you're intimidated by going to Trader Joe's and getting a big tub of coconut oil to slather all over your body, I recommend starting with this. It's a high quality coconut oil from RMS Beauty and I found that it melted really easily and smoothly, unlike other coconut oils that I've tried. It also smells really, really good when to slather it all over your body after a shower. Yum!
10. Patyka Divine Neroli Body Wash
I bought this body wash at Oh My Cream, a natural beauty store in Paris. It smelled delicious in the bottle and I'm a sucker for pretty packaging. Only after I returned home did I realize that this body wash has alcohol and parfum in it, two things that I try to avoid putting on my skin. I did end up using it up (it was $35 after all!) and although it didn't dry my skin out, I also didn't find it super moisturizing.
11. Yarok Feed Your Ends Leave-In Conditioner (2oz)
This is an all around winner. It's healthy for your hair, smells good, and provides conditioning while not weighing down the hair. I sprayed this in my ends about twice a day and it lasted forever, even in the small size. Although the difference was not huge, I did notice that my ends were less dry and I could go longer between getting my ends trimmed. I plan to buy it again after I use up my other leave-in conditioner.
12. Soapwalla Recover Indulgent Bath Soaking Salts
These were sent to me by PR with a couple other Soapwalla products. I was intrigued to use these bath salts after my dental hygienist was telling me about the benefits of soaking in epsom salt. My dental hygienist is the best! Where do you get your health advice from? Anyways, I enjoyed using these salts in my last 3 baths as a good recovery after massages. They also had a really relaxing smell. I will note that about halfway through using them the salts got stuck in the container and I had to stab at them with the handle of my razor to get them loose. But they did get loose, and then I was happy, and I enjoyed using them.
Things I Threw Out
I also finally threw out a few things this month that I had been saying were OVER forever but I just kept thinking I would get more out of them. Time to cut the cord.
- Black suction mask - I used this twice this month and it gave me a small red bump on my cheek. I think products like this are just way too strong for me!
- Julep lip oil - I really enjoyed this (even though initially I thought it was pointless). It wasn't super moisturizing but it felt good when I put it on and I liked the semi-transparent orange color.
- Tarte blush in Dollface - I don't think this was really the best color for me but I used it for the last year regardless. I've now moved on to green beauty brands for blush.
- Too Faced Chocolate Milk Bronzer - I know this is not a green beauty product, yet I kept using it because I didn't want to let it go. It was good but I do like my Lily Lolo bronzer just as much.
- Gabriel powder foundation - I bought this thinking it was a powder and it ended up being a foundation, but I still used it as a powder. Are you following? Well this has been through a lot of travels with me and it finally had to go.
- Beauty Blender - Did you know you are supposed to replace these every 3 months?! I couldn't remember when I bought mine so I decided to get rid of it.
Things I've Added to my Collection
I also wanted to share with you things that I've added to my product collection over the last 17 days to be totally transparent with you. As a blogger, I'm lucky to be sent products from PR firms and brands so that I can try out products and write reviews.
Here are the products that I was fortunate to receive this month:
- Julep lip crayon (from an event)
- Plume eyebrow pomade
- Meant shampoo and conditioner (IG giveaway)
- Algenist collagen serum (they told me this was vegan so I accepted. Turns out the company tests on animals, so I deleted my Instastory about it and let everyone know why)
I know this post was super long so thank you for reading all of the way through. Let me know if you would like me to keep doing product reviews and what format you prefer: blog post, YouTube video, Instagram posts?